[Nut-upsuser] Fwd: Mailing list garbage

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sat Nov 19 20:40:06 UTC 2005

Arnaud Quette schreef:

> these lists are moderated, so there is something wrong!

Unfortunately, we're not the only mailinglist on this listserver that
suffers. I found similar messages from the same Korean spammer in a
number of other lists on 'lists.alioth.debian.org'. Luckily the
listserver aids in detecting these, since it will add a header like the
following

	DNSBL sbl.spamhaus.org

So it is not all too difficult to filter this spammer out.

Searching for this, I found an even more worrying problem with the
listserver. See how easy the lists can be downloaded:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsdev.mbox/nut-upsdev.mbox
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser.mbox/nut-upsuser.mbox

Insert whatever mailinglist you can think of hosted there. No surprise
these lists are harvested for e-mail addresses, one doesn't even need to
subscribe or browse the archives. It's all there, neatly presented in
mbox format.

IMHO, that sucks.

Arjen