[Nut-upsuser] Nut setup with CyberPower AVR900

Miguel mth at mth.com
Sun Oct 23 18:16:29 UTC 2005

>> Q: Have you confirmed that your serial port is operational?
>>
>> Perhaps you are plugged into the wrong serial port
>
>   When I run the CyberPower upssrv (daemon) it works fine on the
>   same serial port so I don't think there is anything wrong with the
>   serial port

Good

>> OR
>>
>> Perhaps your external DB9 connector is not properly connected to your
>> motherboard.
>
>   Again, the CyberPower uppsrv does work on my Gentoo 2.6.13 kernel
>   without any errors or problems. It uses the same serial cable i'm
>   trying NUT with and everything works fine.

OK

>  I prefer to use NUT for the reasons previously stated...

Understood

> The CyberPower DB9 serial cable AND my straight through serial cable
> both work with the CyperPower ups daemon, but neither work with NUT (so
> far).

OK

>> The CyberPower linux module will not work with 2.6 kernels.
>> That is why I switched to nut.
>
> Works fine with my Gentoo 2.6.13 kernel

I just downloaded and tried again.

Indeed it *does* work for me on FC4.

Perhaps it failed for me on FC3
OR
perhaps only the .rpm installation failed

>> Starting upsdrvctl: Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.2
>> Network UPS Tools - CyberPower driver 1.00 (2.0.2)
>> Detected 900AVR on /dev/ttyS0
>
>   Yeah, I get all but the last line. I get the time out saying it
>   couldn't find the device.
>
>   Did you build NUT from source? Do you know if you set any special
>   flags (like timeouts, etc.)?

I originally built from the source.

Then, as I started editing the shutdown script I saw a bunch of support
for /etc/killpower in the standard Fedora distribution.

So I switched to the nut 2.0.2 .rpm so that I could take advantage of the
scripts that were already in place as start of the Fedora distribution.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance ... I don't have any other
suggestions at this time.

Miguel