[Nut-upsuser] GE LanPro + SNMP + NUT

Mikko Peltola mikkotp at ssh.com
Mon Sep 12 12:18:34 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to enable our GE LanPro LP 31 UPS to
communicate with our mixed-bag environment of various Windows, Unix and
Linux hosts and even some appliances such as NetApp. What I hope to
achieve is a controlled shutdown of most systems when power is about to
run out.

The GE LanPro doesn't seem to be a very visible brand on the Internet,
very few discussions or projects mention it. NUT doesn't even list it
in its compatibility lists. Maybe its sold under different name in some
marketareas?

The system we have comes with a serial connection and an SNMP interface
card is available for a very reasonable price. The card is said to be
compatible with RFC1628 UPS-MIBS. A network-enabled generic protocol
could just be the thing we're looking for, especially if GE is not
supported by NUT's generic drivers. The idea of using SNMP is also
appealing when thinking about hooking up appliances.

Would anybody like to share their experiences and views on:
 - NUT's snmp features, I understand its still experimental
 - interfacing GE's products with NUT
 - NUT's Windows clients
 - gotcha's and tips that might apply

Thanks!