[Nut-upsuser] TrippLite/Compiling on FreeBSD

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 01:48:51 UTC 2005

On 9/28/05, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:

> Another note, without the "-u root" switch, I do not get any lengthy
> output...

What messages do you get? You probably see something that refers to
permission errors, but I can't guarantee that they're very obvious (it
may appear to be another error).

Chances are that the 'nut' user (or whatever you configured it to use)
does not have read/write permissions to the /dev nodes for USB.

[...]
> usb_control_msg: 33 9 768 0 0xbfbff8d8 8 4000
> USB error: can't open /dev/ugen0.1 for bulk read: Device not configured
> usb_interrupt_read: got negative open file descriptor for endpoint 1
> libusb_get_interrupt() returned -6 instead of 8

This is the heart of the issue (the other control messages just fetch strings).

Can you check the ugen man page for the "Device not configured" error?

> So this looks like a libusb issue.  I suppose I should head on over to the
> libusb list.  Does anyone have some tips for me on what I'm actually
> asking for?  I can give them these errors, tell them I'm using NUT... but
> I'm not really sure just what libusb *does*...

libusb is the abstraction layer - we are trying to read 8 bytes from
the interrupt in endpoint, and so we call usb_interrupt_read.

The trouble is that USB on BSD is substantially different than on
Linux, and I'm running out of hardware to test with BSD. (In addition,
I am running out of places to put said hardware.)

> > There is a thread on the libusb list now (also referring to 0.1.10a):
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=8308313&forum_id=5425
> >
> > but nothing conclusive has been posted.
>
> Just looked and it seems like they're going somewhere with that.  I'm
> going to try those patches...

At first glance, they were just referring to fetching string
descriptors (which are mostly cosmetic).

Going back to your new error messages, all I can find is this:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-March/039908.html

Not sure what the current state of affairs is.

--
- Charles Lepple