[Nut-upsuser] nut on Mac OS X. Where to put upsdrvctl shutdown?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 15:38:56 UTC 2006

On 4/2/06, Ted Bardusch <nups at bjmoose.com> wrote:
> I've got 2.0.3 running on my XServe under 10.4.5, but I had to put a
> serial adapter on the USB port instead of using a direct USB
> connection.  With the direct USB connection, the OS X native UPS
> solution took precedence.
>
> Anyone know how to prevent the OS X UPS handler from taking over on a
> USB connection?

You could probably rename the bundle that handles HID UPSes, but there
is no guarantee that a future OS upgrade won't put it right back where
it was.

I think you can still use newhidups even when the OS X UPS driver is
active. There are settings in the Energy Saver control panel such that
the OS only displays the UPS icon, but doesn't take any action based
on the UPS return values.

> PS - on my 10.4 install I put the startup in rc.local as the Startup
> items (even with it set to Last) didn't have enough things going to
> have it work.

Yeah, I've been a little disappointed with the quality of the
startup/shutdown script system, and adding launchd to the mix is
hardly worth the extra effort.

I set up a launchd item for dnsmasq at work, and it didn't have enough
stuff running to make things happy. However, since dnsmasq dies if it
can't open all the required network interfaces, and since launchd
respawns programs a couple of times before assuming they are a lost
cause, you could start upsd with "-f" through launchd, and it can keep
relaunching until it works (hypothetically). If I have some time, I'll
play around to verify this theory.

--
- Charles Lepple