[Nut-upsuser] SOS : Help needed for UPS Centralion Blazer 2000VA USB

Carlos Rodrigues carlos.efr at mail.telepac.pt
Wed Apr 12 00:28:45 UTC 2006

That hardware doesn't have a serial port right?

I think that UPS could be supported if only one could configure a
"ttyUSB" with that serial-usb converter.

I (temporarily) have a model with an USB port here, and I would like
to see if I could get it to work with "megatec"/"powermust" without
resorting to some HID/USB magic...

The protocol used seems to be the same, so the only thing needed is to
configure a emulated serial port. Anyone has any ideas?

On 4/11/06, Guillaume JAOUEN <guillaume.jaouen at rlconsultant.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I leave a mail here because I can't find any solution in order to get the
> nut working with this UPS despite I search everywhere on the net.
>
> I've bought this UPS recently after that an MGE-UPS Ellipse 1200 USB burn.
>
> I've those information about the UPS :
>
> Reseller link : http://www.alpha-power-technologie.com/images/GPi-usb.pdf
>
> In his catalogue, the product is called Global Power GPi-2000BZ
>
> This UPS has monitoring software called Winpower
> 2.0(http://www.ups-software-download.com/) which is developed by
> Centralion.
>
> My system is a Debian Sarge 3.1 with a 2.4.32 kernel and built-in HID USB
> support. (this kernel was working perfectly well with the MGE-UPS HID UPS
> Ellipse 1200 and nut driver newhidups)
>
> I've tried to set up winpower under debian but get an RMI server failure at
> boot. I also see that the setup script wasn't set correctly for Debian,
> even
> after fixed PATH variables and right rc.d scripts...
>
> So I went back on nut and tried to solve this problem.
>
> On the Centralion Web site I found an UPS that seems to be the same as mine
> (blazer 2000VA Spec.
> http://www.centralion.com/html/product/back-Product-ups-blazer1000-spec.htm
> and brochure
> http://www.centralion.com/dm-download/Blazer1-2K/Blazer1K-2K.zip)
>
> This UPS use megatec protocol over USB I think. Below are details catch
> from the console :
>
> When I plug the UPS on the USB port I get :
> # lsusb
> Bus 003 Device 005: ID 0665:5161
>
> If I do cat /dev/usb/hiddev0 the system seems to be reading on the device
> but no characters appears on the console...
>
> If I unplug the UPS the cat /dev/usb/hiddev0 command stop working so I
> think the system see the UPS on this device.
>
> The usbview show me this on the device :
>
> USB to Serial
> Manufacturer: Cypress Semiconductor
> Speed: 1,5 Mb/s (low)
> USB Version: 1.10

> [...]