[Nut-upsuser] Re: RE Powerware 5115 and USB

Georg Rehm georg.rehm at uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Apr 12 12:23:27 UTC 2006

> > If bcmxcp_usb just needs libusb: is there any way to make sure that my
> > libusb does indeed work as expected? Now I'm in the situation that I
> > don't know whether my USB subsystem is broken, whether there is a bug
> > in nut 2.0.3 or the Powerware 5115 is not supported via USB. Any hints?

> you can try "export USB_DEBUG=3" to trace libusb internal routines.

Now I get:

  botticelli:/usr/local/ups/bin# ./bcmxcp_usb -DDDD -u root -a botticelli-ups
  Network UPS Tools - BCMXCP UPS driver 0.10 (2.0.3)

  debug level is '4'
  usb_set_debug: Setting debugging level to 5 (on)
  usb_os_init: Found USB VFS at /proc/bus/usb
  usb_os_find_busses: Found 005
  usb_os_find_busses: Found 004
  usb_os_find_busses: Found 003
  usb_os_find_busses: Found 002
  usb_os_find_busses: Found 001
  usb_os_find_busses: Skipping non bus directory devices
  usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 005
  usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 004
  usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 003
  usb_os_find_devices: Found 002 on 002
  skipped 1 class/vendor specific interface descriptors
  usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 002
  error obtaining child information: Inappropriate ioctl for device
  usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 001
  Can't open POWERWARE USB device, retrying ...
  Can't open POWERWARE USB device
  Unable to find POWERWARE UPS device on USB bus
  [...]

The UPS is device 2 on bus 2 indeed:

  botticelli:/usr/local/ups/bin# lsusb
  Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
  Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
  Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
  Bus 002 Device 002: ID 06da:0002 Phoenixtec Power Co., Ltd
  Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
  Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Is there any way to change the "class/vendor specific interface
descriptor" into something that bcmxcp_usb understands?

Best,
Georg

--
Georg Rehm                                          georg.rehm at uni-tuebingen.de
SFB 441, Tübingen University                               +49 (0)7071 29-77155