[Nut-upsuser] SOS : Help needed for UPS Centralion Blazer 2000VA USB

Guillaume JAOUEN guillaume.jaouen at rlconsultant.fr
Thu Apr 13 13:56:52 UTC 2006

Hello,

In order to try the ups monitoring, i've compiled the latest stable version
of nut (2.0.3)

This is the debug output I get from some drivers I've to test as Arnaud asks
me :

Test of the Blazer USB :

Fixed owner for device /dev/usb/hiddev0 -> nut:nut and chmod 0600 for tests

# - with newhidups with port = auto :

ns1:/usr/local/ups/bin# ./newhidups -DDDD -u nut -a blazer2000usb
Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.28 (2.0.3)

debug level is '4'
Checking device (0000/0000) (003/001)
- VendorID: 0000
- ProductID: 0000
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: unknown
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 003
Trying to match device
Device does not match - skipping
Checking device (0665/5161) (003/002)
- VendorID: 0665
- ProductID: 5161
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: unknown
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 003
Trying to match device
Device does not match - skipping
Checking device (0000/0000) (002/001)
- VendorID: 0000
- ProductID: 0000
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: unknown
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 002
Trying to match device
Device does not match - skipping
Checking device (0000/0000) (001/001)
- VendorID: 0000
- ProductID: 0000
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: unknown
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 001
Trying to match device
Device does not match - skipping
No appropriate HID device found
No matching USB/HID UPS found

# - with bcmxcp_usb with port = /dev/usb/hiddev0 :

ns1:/usr/local/ups/bin# ./bcmxcp_usb -DDDD -u nut -a blazer2000usb
Network UPS Tools - BCMXCP UPS driver 0.10 (2.0.3)

debug level is '4'
Can't open POWERWARE USB device, retrying ...
Unable to find POWERWARE UPS device on USB bus

Things to try:

 - Connect UPS device to USB bus

 - Run this driver as another user (upsdrvctl -u or 'user=...' in ups.conf).
   See upsdrvctl(8) and ups.conf(5).

Fatal error: unusable configuration

# - with blazer with port = /dev/usb/hiddev0 :

ns1:/usr/local/ups/bin# ./blazer -DDDD -u nut -a blazer2000usb
Network UPS Tools - Blazer UPS driver 0.07 (2.0.3)
debug level is '4'
tcgetattr(/dev/usb/hiddev0): Invalid argument

# - with blazer with port = /proc/bus/usb/003/002 :

ns1:/usr/local/ups/bin# ./blazer -DDDD -u root -a blazer2000usb
Network UPS Tools - Blazer UPS driver 0.07 (2.0.3)
debug level is '4'
tcgetattr(/proc/bus/usb/003/002): Inappropriate ioctl for device

# - with bcmxp_usb with port = /proc/bus/usb/003/002 :

ns1:/usr/local/ups/bin# ./bcmxcp_usb -DDDD -u root -a blazer2000usb
Network UPS Tools - BCMXCP UPS driver 0.10 (2.0.3)

debug level is '4'
Can't open POWERWARE USB device, retrying ...
Can't open POWERWARE USB device, retrying ...
Can't open POWERWARE USB device, retrying ...
Can't open POWERWARE USB device
Unable to find POWERWARE UPS device on USB bus

Things to try:

 - Connect UPS device to USB bus

 - Run this driver as another user (upsdrvctl -u or 'user=...' in ups.conf).
   See upsdrvctl(8) and ups.conf(5).

Fatal error: unusable configuration

# - with newhidups with port = /proc/bus/usb/003/002 :

ns1:/usr/local/ups/bin# ./newhidups -DDDD -u root -a blazer2000usb
Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.28 (2.0.3)

debug level is '4'
Checking device (0000/0000) (003/001)
- VendorID: 0000
- ProductID: 0000
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: USB UHCI-alt Root Hub
- Serial Number: d400
- Bus: 003
Trying to match device
Device does not match - skipping
Checking device (0665/5161) (003/002)
- VendorID: 0665
- ProductID: 5161
- Manufacturer: Cypress Semiconductor # This is the ioctl of the usb
- Product: USB to Serial
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 003
Trying to match device
Device does not match - skipping
Checking device (0000/0000) (002/001)
- VendorID: 0000
- ProductID: 0000
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: USB UHCI-alt Root Hub
- Serial Number: d800
- Bus: 002
Trying to match device
Device does not match - skipping
Checking device (0000/0000) (001/001)
- VendorID: 0000
- ProductID: 0000
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: USB UHCI-alt Root Hub
- Serial Number: dc00
- Bus: 001
Trying to match device
Device does not match - skipping
No appropriate HID device found
No matching USB/HID UPS found

I think that the newhidups driver can't see the ups because there's nothing
to convert the io data of the cypress Serial-to-USB into an understandable
data that can be managed after translation in a device like /dev/usb/hiddev0
for example. The system need something in order to read the io data of the
Cypress Serial-to-USB what explain that when I do cat /dev/usb/hiddev0 and
interrupt the AC power of the UPS, the system can't catch any data from the
ups.

Certainly a module driver is needed by the kernel, I'll contact Cypress
Semiconductor in order to know if there's one.

Best regards,
Guillaume JAOUEN.