[Nut-upsuser] charge calculations (ex Ablerex MARS)

lonely wolf wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Sat Apr 22 21:17:45 UTC 2006

On 04/22/2006 08:17 PM, Charles Lepple wrote:

>I think that the solution that APC and MGE apparently use (probably
>others as well) on their PDC HID UPSes is better - do the charge
>calculation in an on-board microcontroller, and calibrate it as part
>of the final QA stage. If the manufacturer can't afford a couple extra
>cents for a microcontroller that can do that math, the components will
>probably drift over time anyway (making PC-side charge calculations
>futile).

Of course the solution of computing everything in the UPS itself is more
accurate .. at least until you replace the batteries. But hey, you
cannot get on 600$ UPSs what you get for 1400$... At least _this_ was
the difference which made my CFO to approve the purchase of Ablerex
rather then APC (1250 Euro), MGE (1150 Euro) or even Liebert (Line
Interactive model - 900 Euro, On-Line - 1300 Euro).