[Nut-upsuser] Ablerex MARS

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sun Apr 23 07:11:06 UTC 2006

> I have no opinion on computing the charge from the voltage; it does
> not actually matter, the only charge nut really cares about is "too
> low".

Indeed, unless you want to calculate when to replace the batteries when
their capacity falls between a certain limit, but I don't think one can
expect that sophistication from low- and medium end UPSes.

> However, seeing a maximum voltage of 3V on a unit that is nominally
> 96V seems wrong, even if that is 8 batteries of 12V each. Could there
> be a conversion error? Perhaps 2.3V should be 23V?

I think it reports the single cell voltage. In that case, a value of 2.3V
would be about the right voltage for a fully charged cell (in float
operation that is) and 1.8V the lower discharge limit (lower than that you
risk permanent damage). I would expect a better resolution in the voltage
though if this is true. With 0.1V resolution, there are not an awful lot
of steps between a fully charged battery and an empty one.