[Nut-upsuser] Gentoo Ultra USB UPS

Jonathan Dion dion.jonathan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 14:00:08 UTC 2006

Hi Barry

On 8/4/06, Barry Fawthrop <barry at ttienterprises.org> wrote:
> Hi Jonathan
>
> I did find in the trunk/drivers directory a powercom.c/.h and see it is
> all serial based
> could this not be adapted to USB as well ??

Yes, there is a driver for serial powercom UPS.
Halas, serial and USB don't use the same protocol at all. You could of
course make a new driver, but nothing tell you that USB PowerCom work
the same way than serial PowerCom. I don't see how you could use the
serial driver as a base for the USB driver.

Moreover, I think that make a subdriver for newhidups is the easiest
way to support your UPS. It is an USB UPS, so in order to make a
driver, you need at least to have the main parts of the HID usage
table.

With this HID usage table, nearly 50%, or even 60% of the work is done
for a subdriver of newhidups.

> Thanks
> Barry

Cheers,