[Nut-upsuser] choosing a UPS (in the United States)

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Wed Aug 9 00:58:28 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 10:09, Charles Lepple wrote:
> I don't know your physical setup, but if it were me, I would get a few
> rack-mount UPSes instead of putting everything on one big UPS.
>
> Obviously, you don't want to go too crazy on splitting things up,
> because the per-unit cost for replacement batteries is generally
> higher than half the cost of a battery twice as large.

Our UPS supplier was quite happy to sell us the batteries that actually go in
the MGE EXB units. I haven't actually tried it but if the batteries start
going I will seriously consider this approach because it's considerably
cheaper and I don't believe it will be too much hassle (and the EXB will be
out of warranty anyway)

> This also usually gives you more control over switchable outlets, in
> case you want to remotely power-cycle one particular server.

The Puslar Extreme we got (only 1500VA) had 6 outlets, 2 of which where
individually switchable, I think if I wanted more control than that I would
get a separate controllable outlet board.

Personally I have *never* had to power cycle a server but I don't put Windows
on then ;)

The switchable outlets will come in handy for some of our other hardware
though - occasionally the switch mode power supplies in our DAQ rack don't
come up properly.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum