[Nut-upsuser] powercom upstype identify problem

Martin Ivanov tramni at abv.bg
Thu Aug 17 19:03:38 UTC 2006

Mr Claesson,
with my current configuration, the ups.status when the UPS is disconnected from the mains is "OB". There is no more "OB BOOST". Now my upsd.users is:
[root]
password = password
allowfrom = localhost
upsmon master
actions = SET
instcmds = ALL

and upsmon.conf is:

RUN_AS_USER root
MONITOR Inform at localhost 1 root password master
MINSUPPLIES 1
SHUTDOWNCMD "/sbin/shutdown -h now"
NOTIFYCMD /usr/local/ups/bin/notifyme
POLLFREQ 5
POLLFREQALERT 5
HOSTSYNC 0
DEADTIME 15
POWERDOWNFLAG /etc/killpower
NOTIFYFLAG ONBATT SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
RBWARNTIME 43200
NOCOMMWARNTIME 300
FINALDELAY

I had to run as user root, because otherwise the command "telinit 0" from the notifyme script does not have the permission to execute. Currently the output of "upsc Inform at localhost" when the UPS is connected to the mains is:

battery.charge: 97.7
driver.name: powercom
driver.parameter.linevoltage: 220
driver.parameter.port: /dev/ttyS0
driver.parameter.type: KIN1500AP
driver.version: 2.0.4
driver.version.internal: $ Revision: 0.5 $
input.frequency: 49.61
input.voltage: 236.3
input.voltage.nominal: 220
output.frequency: 49.61
output.voltage: 236.3
ups.load: 36.7
ups.mfr: PowerCom
ups.model: Unknown
ups.model.type: KIN1500AP
ups.serial: Unknown
ups.status: OL

and when the UPS is NOT connected to the mains is:

battery.charge: 151.0
driver.name: powercom
driver.parameter.linevoltage: 220
driver.parameter.port: /dev/ttyS0
driver.parameter.type: KIN1500AP
driver.version: 2.0.4
driver.version.internal: $ Revision: 0.5 $
input.frequency: 0.00
input.voltage: -0.1
input.voltage.nominal: 220
output.frequency: 49.61
output.voltage: 38.3
ups.load: 140.7
ups.mfr: PowerCom
ups.model: Unknown
ups.model.type: KIN1500AP
ups.serial: Unknown
ups.status: O

Mr Jonathan Dion from the mailing list told me that the battery charge of 151 at "OB" is not alright and says that probably I am not using the correct driver for my UPS. Could you tell me what output certain commands should have if everything is correct? I need some criterion so that I can know that I have finally found the correct driver for my UPS. The powercom driver is probably the correct driver, I think I just need to experiment with the upstypes. So it would be nice to tell me some quick commands for starting the driver with different upstypes from the command line. I will do all tests necessary to find out the correct driver and upstype configuration for my UPS, apart from letting the UPS go to the real status "LB". I do not dare do that.
And concerning the UPS shutdown, if it is at all necessary to me, and if I ever decide to configure my system for UPS shutdown: I want the UPS itself to shut down right after the system has sucessfully gone through the standard shutdown procedure. I do not want the UPS shutdown to forestall the system shutdown. This was the case with the original upsmon programme, coming with my UPS.
Concisely, I am asking two things:

1.Criteria for the correct driver and upstype configuration; some example algorithm to perform the tests; some quck commands for starting the driver from the command line with different upstypes;
2.How to achieve UPS shutdown right after normal system shutdown

Thank you very much indeed for your attention. I am looking forward to your answer.

Regards,
Martin