[Nut-upsuser] Help with nut 2.0.4, MGE Ellipse 1000 and FreeBSD

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Thu Dec 28 00:01:29 CET 2006

Miwa Forever wrote:

> Hello.
> So as my english is not so good, i'll try to write my story in bash commands
> :o)
>
> miwa at zork3$ uname -mrs
> FreeBSD 5.5-STABLE i386
> miwa at zork3$ su
> root at zork3# cd /usr/ports/sysutils/nat
> root at zork3# make && make install
> root at zork3# cd ../nut-usb
> root at zork3# make && make install
> root at zork3# cd /usr/local/etc/nut
> root at zork3# cat ups.conf
> user=root
> [MGE-Ellipse]
> driver=newhidups
> port=auto
> desc="MGE Ellipse 1000"
>
> root at zork3# cat upsd.conf
> ACL world 0.0.0.0/0
> ACL zork 192.168.100.0/24
> ACL servers 192.168.1.0/24
> ACL local 127.0.0.1/32
> ACCEPT local
> ACCEPT servers
> ACCEPT zork
> REJECT world
>
> root at zork3# cat upsd.users
> [admin]
> password = admin
> allowfrom = local
> actions = set
> instcmds = all
>
> [monitor]
> password = monitor
> allowfrom = local
> upsmon master
>
> root at zork3# /usr/local/libexec/nut/upsdrvctl -u root start
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.4
> Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.28 (2.0.4)
>
> Detected a UPS: MGE UPS SYSTEMS/ELLIPSE
> Using subdriver: MGE HID 0.9

Everything is good up to here. Your UPS, cable, and driver (newhidups)
are all working.

> root at zork3# upsd -u root
> Network UPS Tools upsd 2.0.4
> /usr/local/etc/nut/upsd.conf is world readable
> Connected to UPS [MGE-Ellipse]: newhidups-auto
> Synchronizing........ giving up

This is definitely a problem. Upsd has "given up" its attempt to
connect to the driver.

There should be a socket in your state directory (typically
/var/state/ups). This is what upsd uses to connect to the driver.

Perhaps you should start "/usr/local/libexec/nut/upsd" and not just
"upsd"?  Maybe they are not configured the same way.

-- Peter