[Nut-upsuser] Help with nut 2.0.4, MGE Ellipse 1000 and FreeBSD

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Thu Dec 28 20:26:32 CET 2006

Miwa Forever wrote:

> 2006/12/28, Peter Selinger <selinger at mathstat.dal.ca>:
> >
> > Miwa Forever wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello.
> > > So as my english is not so good, i'll try to write my story in bash
> > commands
> > > :o)
> > >
> > > miwa at zork3$ uname -mrs
> > > FreeBSD 5.5-STABLE i386
> > > miwa at zork3$ su
> > > root at zork3# cd /usr/ports/sysutils/nat
> > > root at zork3# make && make install
> > > root at zork3# cd ../nut-usb
> > > root at zork3# make && make install
> > > root at zork3# cd /usr/local/etc/nut
> > > root at zork3# cat ups.conf
> > > user=root
> > > [MGE-Ellipse]
> > > driver=newhidups
> > > port=auto
> > > desc="MGE Ellipse 1000"
> > >
> > > root at zork3# cat upsd.conf
> > > ACL world 0.0.0.0/0
> > > ACL zork 192.168.100.0/24
> > > ACL servers 192.168.1.0/24
> > > ACL local 127.0.0.1/32
> > > ACCEPT local
> > > ACCEPT servers
> > > ACCEPT zork
> > > REJECT world
> > >
> > > root at zork3# cat upsd.users
> > > [admin]
> > > password = admin
> > > allowfrom = local
> > > actions = set
> > > instcmds = all
> > >
> > > [monitor]
> > > password = monitor
> > > allowfrom = local
> > > upsmon master
> > >
> > > root at zork3# /usr/local/libexec/nut/upsdrvctl -u root start
> > > Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.4
> > > Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.28 (2.0.4)
> > >
> > > Detected a UPS: MGE UPS SYSTEMS/ELLIPSE
> > > Using subdriver: MGE HID 0.9
> >
> > Everything is good up to here. Your UPS, cable, and driver (newhidups)
> > are all working.
> >
> > > root at zork3# upsd -u root
> > > Network UPS Tools upsd 2.0.4
> > > /usr/local/etc/nut/upsd.conf is world readable
> > > Connected to UPS [MGE-Ellipse]: newhidups-auto
> > > Synchronizing........ giving up
> >
> > This is definitely a problem. Upsd has "given up" its attempt to
> > connect to the driver.
> >
> > There should be a socket in your state directory (typically
> > /var/state/ups). This is what upsd uses to connect to the driver.
> >
> > Perhaps you should start "/usr/local/libexec/nut/upsd" and not just
> > "upsd"?  Maybe they are not configured the same way.
> >
> > -- Peter
> >

> Well, I found directory /var/state/ups, but it's empty:
>
> root at zork3# ls -l /var/state
> total 2
> drwxrwxrwx 2 nut nut 512 Dec 25 18:31 ups
> root at zork3# ls -l /var/state/ups
> total 0
> root at zork3# ps ax | grep ups
> 878 ?? Is 0:00.65 /usr/local/libexec/nut/newhidups -a MGE-Ellipse -u root
> 880 ?? Ss 0:01.18 /usr/local/sbin/upsd -u root

Following your second email on Dec 27, I don't think any of this is a
problem. Actually, it seems that both your driver and upsd are working
fine. It is just that the driver gets disconnected occasionally from
upsd (times out). Probably all you have to do is set MAXAGE in
upsd.conf to allow for a longer timeout. See 'man upsd.conf'.

-- Peter