[Nut-upsuser] SUSE 10.0 and MGE Ellipse

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Fri Feb 3 16:14:33 UTC 2006

Paul Mogren wrote:

> I spent some time on it this weekend. I deciphered the
> release note to mean we need to use udev rules and/or
> the hwup mechanism. I tried with udev rules and got
> close: I managed to write a rule that set the
> permissions on /dev/usbdevB.D, in the same rule that
> adds a "symlink" at /proc/bus/usb/BBB/DDD; however, I
> had no success at setting the permissions on
> /proc/bus/usb/BBB/DDD.

Paul,

are you saying that /proc/bus/usb/BBB/DDD is a symlink to
/dev/usbdevB.D?

In this case, the permissions on /proc/bus/usb/BBB/DDD are ignored, as
symbolic links don't really have meaningful permissions or
ownership. Trying to set the permissions of a symbolic link will
update the permissions of the link target. Trying to change the
ownership of a symbolic link has the analogous effect, unless you use
"chown -h". However, who owns a symbolic link has no practical effect,
as it is always ignored when trying to open or manipulate the link.

In short, if the permissions of /dev/usbdevB.D are set correctly,
everything should work, and you should not need anything more.

-- Peter