[Nut-upsuser] newhidups and hidups drivers

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Wed Feb 22 22:17:55 UTC 2006

Steve,

here is another quote from the INSTALL file:

    NOTE: newhidups is a special case for the "port" value. If you
    only own one local UBS UPS, you can just set the "port" to "auto".
    Refer to newhidups(8) man page for more information.

The cause of your problem is not the "port" value, which is ignored
anyway. It is more likely that you forgot to follow step 13 from the
INSTALL file (to set up your startup scripts), or that you did not set
them up correctly. You should try

 ps -ef | grep ups

as root, to see which ones of "upsmon", "upsd", "newhidups", if any,
are currently running. The point is that you have to make sure these
are run each time you reboot your system.

-- Peter