[Nut-upsuser] Problems starting upsd with newhidups

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Fri Feb 24 03:11:28 UTC 2006

Hello,

I am having trouble getting upsd to start.  I am using the Debian NUT packages
version 2.0.3 (current in Debian/sid).  I am using the newhidups driver with
an APC Back-UPS BR 800.

The init.d script wasn't functioning, so I backtracked to running upsd
manually and I get:

foxstar:/etc/nut# upsd -u root
Network UPS Tools upsd 2.0.3
Can't connect to UPS [foxstarups] (newhidups-auto): No such file or directory
Synchronizing..... <CTRL-C>

My ups.conf contains:

[foxstarups]
        driver = newhidups
        port = auto
        offdelay = 600
        desc = "foxstar UPS"

It seems that upsd is concatenating the driver and port fields with a hyphen
inbetween.  Adding "-DDD" does not produce any extra output.  Going back one
step further and running the driver directly shows that it can connect to the
UPS, as long as I include the "-u root" option:

foxstar:/etc/nut# /lib/nut/newhidups -u root auto
Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.28 (2.0.3)

Detected a UPS: American Power Conversion/Back-UPS BR  800 FW:9.o2 .D USB FW:o2
Using subdriver: APC HID 0.8

Am I doing something wrong?  Is my upsd not configured properly?

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.