[Nut-upsuser] Nut 2.0.1, net-snmp-5.1.2p2, APC SUA1000 with AP9606: repeated comm lost/established messages

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 11:59:34 UTC 2006

Hi George

2006/1/4, George Pontis <gpontis at spamcop.net>:

> Hello list members,
>
> I am running NUT 2.0.1 on an OpenBSD 3.8 system, using the OpenBSD port
> for net-snmp-5.1.2p2. The UPS is connected via an AP9606 Web/SNMP card
> with current firmware, and the LAN. All goes well for a long time, usually
> more than one month. Then the system starts spitting messages about losing
> communications with the UPS. A second message about reconnecting follows
> immediately. The messages are sometimes coming at a fast rate, faster than
> the 300 seconds specified for NOCOMMWARNTIME in upsmon.conf. A reboot of
> the computer running NUT (the only computer running NUT) does not fix it, so
> I assume that there is something going on with the UPS or the UPS network
> card.
>
> If this is not a known problem, I would be happy to do some guided
> sleuthing to track it down. However, I have no clue where to look.
>
> Any pointers would be much appreciated.

does resetting the card itself (there should be something on the web admin
interface, if there is one) resolve this issue. If so, then you've validated
that the problem is from the comm card itself. Otherwise, it should be a
problem in the ups core...

Another test, on the nut side, would be to stop snmp-ups, then restart it in
debug mode (using -DDDDD) when the comm is staling, and look at what happen.
A simpler one would be, in the same context, to try a ping and an snmp-walk
to see if the comm card is denying answer.

Arnaud