[Nut-upsuser] hidups Vs newhidups (was: SUSE 10.0 packaging)

Paul Mogren fkamogee at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 14 04:17:40 UTC 2006

--- Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2006/1/13, Paul Mogren <fkamogee at yahoo.com>:
> >
> > This thread is FYI. I don't need any help here.
> >
> no, but some details for those who will read it,
> maybe ;-)

Hopefully... That's half the reason I posted it

> I have SUSE 10.0 and an MGE Ellipse. I installed the
> NUT package from MGE.
> >
> > 1) The generated ups.conf pointed to a bad
> location:
> > /dev//dev/input/event0
> >

> who generated that ?
> it seems like an old hiddev / hidups detection that
> failed

That's what was installed automatically. I assume it
was some script that ran after installation of either
NUT or MGE-PSP.

> 2) The hidups driver will not work with SUSE 10 out
> of the box. To make it
> > work (which was academic because I prefer
> newhidups), I had to:
> >  a) Customize the kernel to exclude
> CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT
> >  b) Add a udev rule: KERNEL=="hiddev*",
> NAME="usb/hid/%k", MODE="666"
> >  c) Set the port in ups.conf to
> /dev/usb/hid/hiddev0
> >

> we're currently in the process of removing hidups.
> It will still be present in 2.0.x, but with a
> warning, and will then be
> replaced by newhidups in 2.2.x.
>
> So all hidups users are encouraged to migrate to
> newhidups.
> For non MGE units (mainly APC, TrippLite,
> Powerware), you must use a
> 2.0.3-pre or higher version.

Maybe I wasn't clear: what I meant was to let you know
that it looks like hidups is just not going to work on
SUSE 10 without some rather advanced user action.
(Advanced for SUSE's audience, anyway.) So perhaps you
want to change the package - whatever script generated
that crazy ups.conf, I guess - to try newhidups
instead.

-Paul