[Nut-upsuser] Various NUT issues/questions

Scott Tuc Ellentuch at T-B-O-H ml at t-b-o-h.net
Sat May 13 02:01:50 UTC 2006

> > 	I guess I wasn't defining the scenerio correctly.
> >
> > 	1) Power goes out
> > 	2) UPS on Battery
> > 	3) UPS gets to 30% battery
> > 	4) System realizes it, does a "shutdown -h now"
> > 	5) UPS gets to 1% battery
> > 	6) Power comes back on
> >
> > 	During the entire time, there was never a power loss to the
> > system
>
> You did not configure your shutdown scripts correctly; see item 11
> under "Configuring shutdowns for low battery events" in INSTALL.  Your
> computer is supposed to power off (after going through the usual
> shutdown procedure) by letting the UPS know to shut down its
> load. This will cause the UPS to cut power to the computer, and then
> sit there until power comes back on. In the event that the power
> returns while the shutdown is already in progress, the UPS will cut
> power to the computer for a few seconds, then come back on. This
> ensures that your computer will never be in a bad state.

	Ok, I did that. For what I can see/tell for FreeBSD,
they suggest to put it into the /etc/rc.shutdown script. So I
did that. I pulled the plug. It went onto battery, got to
30% (Which I still think is incredibly high, still looking to
see how to reduce it). The machine did its shutdown, and then
killed the power and the UPS turned off. I plugged it back in
and the UPS/System came back. Well, the system SORT OF came back.
The filesystems were so corrupted that it wouldn't come up.
:-/ This won't do. I'm normally a 9 hour drive from here, and we
lose power even on clear sunny days... :-/

	Is there anything I can do to let the machine shut down
all the way THEN the UPS? I tried changing ups.delay.shutdown
to 2 minutes and found that its 2 minutes from when you set it,
and it seemed to be a "HARD" down.. I had to press the button
to get it to start up again.

	I hate to be a pain, but I'm not sure if its the UPS
I was guided to choose, my lack of knowledge of NUT, or my
desire to have what isn't available.

		Thanks, Tuc