[Nut-upsuser] EMC/ACBEL Polytech UPS

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 16:31:38 CET 2006

On 11/5/06, Mark Buechler <mark.buechler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Each has a RJ45 connection and a cable which has a DB9 on the other end so I
> would assume serial.

Probably serial, then.

> I have a serial analyzer of sorts which have LEDs
> indicating read/write etc, however, I see no change in any lines when cut
> input power on the UPS. I suspect the connections are serial but
> non-standard wiring - but I could be wrong.

Usually, non-standard wiring is done on the UPS side to force you to
buy the manufacturer's cable (which it sounds like they accomplished
with the RJ45 jack).

It might be a "smart" UPS where you have to initialize it, or query
the state every so often. Does the PC's RX line light up on the
analyzer when you plug the UPS DB9 into the analyzer? That might
indicate that it can transmit serial data back to the PC, even if the
other lights do not change.

There are some likely candidates in the "Various" section of this table:

   http://www.networkupstools.org/compat/dev.html

Since you said you did not see any changes on the control lines, you
can probably rule out the genericups driver. I think the bcmxcp driver
controls a number of rebranded UPSes as well, but I haven't had much
firsthand experience with these drivers.

--
- Charles Lepple