[Nut-upsuser] Sweex 1000VA UPS

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed Nov 8 09:51:47 CET 2006

> I'm trying to get a sweex ups working with nut on debian sarge.

Good luck! Sweex is notorious for changing their products internally,
without telling you. Have you noticed that their online documentation
still mentions the SafeNet software? And that they even have the guts to
mention that their UPS is 'fully compatible with Unix'. Upon asking, they
boldly stated that you can power a Unix box from it, but you can't monitor
it. Yeah, right!

> This one:
> http://www.sweex.com/producten.php?lang=1&%20sectie=&item=59&artikel=95
> It's shipped with UPSmart and according to the compatibility list it
> should work with the genericups upstype=7 driver. But it doesn't.

I have one unit that does. But that doesn't neccessarily mean that yours
does too (unfortunately, see above).

> I get:
>
> mybox:/etc/nut# /etc/init.d/nut start
> Starting Network UPS Tools: (upsdrvctl failed).
> mybox:/etc/nut#

This could be a configuration problem. Can you post the contents of the
/etc/ups/ups.conf file here and also the permissions on the serial port
you configured in there? Checking out with the bundled (Windows) software
on a Windows box may be worthwile too, to rule out problems in the serial
cable and/or UPS.

> So I guess I'm using the wrong driver.

I'm not ready to jump to that conclusion yet.

> I already tried the savenet driver too, but no succes.

That one for sure won't work, since that one is only good for devices that
were shipped with the SafeNet 1.0 for Windows software. Yours apparently
wasn't.

> I found on the net someone using the ippon driver with a 500VA sweex ups,
> but this doesn't work for me. All help is very appreciated.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Eindhoven - The Netherlands