[Nut-upsuser] Sweex 1000VA UPS

YvesDM ydmlog at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 19:57:48 CET 2006

On 11/9/06, Arjen de Korte <nut+users at de-korte.org> wrote:

> >> [ups_name]
> >>     driver = genericups
> >>     upstype = 7
> >>     port = /dev/ttyS0
> >>     desc = "Sweex 1000VA UPS"
> > Ok, I tried this.
> > The driver was loaded and..... the server shutdown immediately.
>
> Lesson #1: Always first test whether the driver is producing good results
> (you must be able to read the status from your UPS correctly), before
> using it to shutdown a system.

I thought I was doing this . I didn't expect the thing would ever shutdown
when it's on power cord.
I'm new to all this UPS stuff. And gee I like it from the first date!

> I had to attach a screen and a keyboard to the server and boot it in
> > single user mode to disable nut in /etc/default/
>
> Lesson #2: Unless you're sure of #1, don't put NUT in scripts that are
> started automatically to prevent deadlocks... :-)

Right, my mistake

[...]
> > This gives me:
> >
> >  radius1:/var/log# ls -l /dev/ttyS0
> > crw-rw----  1 root dialout 4, 64 2005-02-26 07:39 /dev/ttyS0
> >
> > So, I guess not good. What is the correct chown?
> > chown root:nut /dev/ttyS0 ?
> >
> > Could this be the reason of the instant shutdown?
>
> No, not really. When the genericups driver fails to lock the serial port
> (because of wrong permissions or it is locked by another process) it will
> fail to startup.
>
> Are you absolutely sure that the UPS is connected to /dev/ttyS0? For
> 'upstype=7' the signals for 'on battery' and 'low battery' are -CTS and
> -DCD (both zero). I wouldn't be surprized at all if this is the same as
> nothing connected to the port you're monitoring (although I can't test
> that right now).

The machine kept rebooting, even with no serial cable to the UPS connected
anymore,
so I guess that's a yes? How can I be absolutely sure it's connected to
/dev/ttyS0?
That proliant server has a serial A and a serial B RS232, I took serial A.

Note that the genericups driver is not able to detect whether or not
> something is connected to the port it is monitoring, unlike many other
> (somewhat) smarter protocols that are used by other drivers. This is due
> to the limitations of the contact closure protocol used, not by the
> driver.
>
> > I don't want this to happen again. (radius)
>
> Lesson #3: You really, REALLY, shouldn't experiment with a UPS on a live
> system... :-)

Yes, Easy to say when the system is already operational. I didn't have that
much choice.

When in doubt, it is always better to follow the instructions from the
> genericups man page under the chapter 'TESTING COMPATIBILITY' to prevent
> inadvertent shutdowns of your system.

Yes, I guess you're right, but I start to get sick of it.
As I said before this is a live system and I can't mess with it to much.
I really hope someone can give me the link I 'm missing here.
Otherwise it's better to stop waisting my time on that ups and look for
another one better supported.
MGE? Suggestions from recent models working without problems are welcome.
I use the stable debian package, nut 2.0.1-4

Kind regards,
> Arjen

Tnx for all help and suggestions,
Yves