[Nut-upsuser] using nut to monitor SNMP UPS unit

Tim Chipman tchipman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 20:52:55 CET 2006

Hi all,

I've been trying to build NUT (latest release source) on a pretty "standard"
CentOS (RHEL style) linux box, to monitor an APC Symmetra UPS Unit which
powers our server room and broadcasts information via SNMP to appropriate
clients.

I am having some trouble even encouraging NUT to build with snmp support,
which doesn't seem to happen by default.

I am curious if anyone has pointers, or if there is info summarized anywhere
on this topic.

All help is greatly appreciated.  Relevant text is pasted below.

Many thanks,

Tim Chipman

--------PASTE---------------

./configure --with-drivers=snmp-ups

runs, but I note in output:

checking for Net-SNMP cflags... not found
checking for Net-SNMP libs... not found

note that this system has net-snmpd installed and snmp libs are visible
under /usr/lib

When I try to "make" I get errors:

[root at hydra nut-2.0.4]# make
common/
make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/src/nut/nut-2.0.4/common'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/src/nut/nut-2.0.4/common'
drivers/
make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/src/nut/nut-2.0.4/drivers'
gcc -I../include -O -Wall -Wsign-compare  -c snmp-ups.c
In file included from snmp-ups.c:31:
snmp-ups.h:46:38: net-snmp/net-snmp-config.h: No such file or directory
snmp-ups.h:54:40: net-snmp/net-snmp-includes.h: No such file or directory

note that I can build nut just fine if I don't ask it to build the snmp
support. (yay)

as per hints I've found elsewhere, I have got a config file thus, although
I'm not yet at a point of actually testing it:

[root at hydra etc]# more ups.conf
[apc]
driver = snmp-ups
port = 192.168.23.50