[Nut-upsuser] Adding TrippLite SMART550 / Protocol 2001 Support

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 02:39:38 UTC 2006

On 10/11/06, Anthony J. Ciani <aciani1 at uic.edu> wrote:
> I have added preliminary support for the TrippLite protocol number 2001
> into tripplite_usb.c.  The attached file is supplied as a patch against
> today's SVN.
>
> This patch adds support for TrippLite SMART550USB and some Omni models.

I merged this into SVN as rev 556. There are also a few updates to the
way that the protocol is reported, to help others figure out what
works with their UPS.

> Tested are On Line, On Battery, Battery Good, and Battery Bad indication.
> Everything else seems to work, but this UPS is attached to a critical
> system, and I can only do limited testing.

If you (or anyone else reading this) gets a chance to test the
low-battery status, that would wrap up the basic testing.

> As an aside, tripplite_usb.c seems to need nut ownership of
> /proc/bus/XXX/YYY in order to work, as opposed to /dev/hid/hiddevX.  It
> would be nice to get this "fixed".

I looked into this, and if you put the nut-usbups.rules file in
/etc/udev/rules.d (as tested on Ubuntu Dapper), it should change the
group of the node when you plug the UPS in. Other distributions will
likely have slightly different ways of accomplishing this.

--
- Charles Lepple