[Nut-upsuser] Slightly OT: Generators & UPS

Julian Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Fri Sep 1 06:40:58 UTC 2006

"Basheer Noorgat" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this:
>
> My PC's are on a separate power circuit. Each PC has its own UPS.
>
> I have an old Honda generator. When the power goes out, I fire up the
> generator. However, the UPS's still run on battery. If I connect the
> PC directly to the socket and bypass the UPS, the PC works.
>
> I was told by a UPS supplier, that the power output from the
> generator was "dirty" hence the UPS's preferred to remain on battery
> power.
>
> Recently, the power went out and fired up the generator.
> Surprisingly, all UPS worked and accepted the generator power.
>
> This time the only difference was that we also powered off some
> halogen spotlights and some energy saving compact flourescent
> lighting from the generator.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on what happened?
>
> When I get a chance, I will try and repeat what happened and see the
> outcome...

I guess the Halogen lights are a straight resisitive load ?  (ie
no complex electronics in the back, although light bulbs somehow
seem to get inductive ) however the fluorescent Do have a wedge of
electronics on a PCB in back, & as you know starter capacitor in
front etc.

My guess is its the fluorescents being the dirty (noisy) load.

You could confirm by using an oscilloscope (there are also more
complex power measuring logger machines), borrow one & or its
optionaly owning / accompanying owner / electrician & then simulate
the power failure again.

Thr traditional simple way mechanical way to iron out noise from a
generator is to feed it into a motor witha big flywheel, & couple
a generator to the flywheel.

> Regards
>

> Basheer Noorgat
> NMC EXQUISITE
> 23 Bauhinia Rd., Stanger, 4450, South Africa
> P.O.Box 2449, Stanger, 4450, South Africa
> Ph: (032) 551 3300     Fax: (032) 551 4414
> Cell: 082 5510 227     Int. Code: +27 (32)
> Web Site: http://www.nmcexquisite.com
> Basheer Noorgat
> NMC EXQUISITE
> 23 Bauhinia Rd., Stanger, 4450, South Africa
> P.O.Box 2449, Stanger, 4450, South Africa
> Ph: (032) 551 3300     Fax: (032) 551 4414
> Cell: 082 5510 227     Int. Code: +27 (32)
> Web Site: http://www.nmcexquisite.com

Julian Stacey.  BSD Unix C Net Consultancy, Munich/Muenchen  http://berklix.com
Mail Ascii, not HTML.           Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.