[Nut-upsuser] APC 1500 USB problem

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Thu Apr 12 21:31:10 UTC 2007

A couple of suggestions.

First, please read the man page of newhidups, particularly the section
on how to configure multiple USB ups's. ("IMPLEMENTATION"). Newhidups
does not use /dev/usb/hiddev*, and the "port" values you have given
will be ignored in any case.

Second, please follow the instructions in the file INSTALL that comes
with NUT. In other words, use upsd, upsmon, upsdrvctl, and don't use
your distribution's /usr/local/etc/rc.d/nut, at least until you have
found out what the problem is. The problem might be with that script,
which is not part of NUT (and therefore we don't know what it does and
cannot support it here).

Third, the information you gave is insufficient to determine what the
problem is. There are several reasons the newhidups driver might not
be able to connect to your UPS, e.g. (a) another instance of newhidups
is already attached to the UPS, (b) a permissions problem, (c) other ???
So you should check that newhidups is not already running. You should
also check that the device really exists (lsusb or usbview or similar).
You should also check that the permissions on the file
/proc/bus/usb/XXX/YYY are set correctly. See the file INSTALL, and
also http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/ups/backups.html, for
step-by-step instructions.

Good luck! -- Peter