[Nut-upsuser] Re: newhidups fails only at boot

Jim Osborn jimo at eskimo.com
Tue Apr 17 03:41:22 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at  3:44:22PM -0700, I wrote:
> I thought the hotplug init script, which does execute prior to the
> ups init script, was supposed to take care of permissions, but I
> have much to learn about all things USB.
> There are NO devices in /dev/usb/ with ownership root:nut, so maybe
> that hotplug script isn't doing its thing after all.  I'll sprinkle
> some more breadcrumbs in the scripts and see what they hint at...

It turns out that the nut-related hotplug script is executing AFTER
the attempt to load the nut driver, even though the hotplug init script
executes earlier.  Apparently the hotplug system needs to be informed
about nut somehow so that it'll do the right thing at boot, I guess.

The device in question turns out to be /proc/bus/usb/001/002, not
something in /dev/usb/.  Since it's a virtual device, I suspect the
permissions in /dev/usb are irrelevant, and that the hotplug action
is necessary.  Guess it's time to grind through the hotplug code...

If anyone has been through this process for a 2.4 kernel, I'd love
to hear any hints.

TIA,

Jim