[Nut-upsuser] Nut fsd command ignored: bcmxcp_usb driver, Powerware 5105 UPS

Stuart Rackham srackham at methods.co.nz
Thu Aug 2 21:01:24 UTC 2007

Many thanks to all who helped out on this one, the problem turned out to
be a misunderstanding on my part:

The Ubuntu 7.04 /etc/init.d/halt script only initiates the
/etc/init.d/ups-monitor poweroff command if the shutdown -P (poweroff)
option is used (or -h with /etc/halt/default set to poweroff) -- I was
using the shutdown -H (halt) option so /etc/init.d/ups-monitor poweroff
  never got executed.

A couple of observations regarding the bcmxcp_usb driver and 3105 UPS:

The bcmxcp_usb driver turns the UPS off immediately (at the same time
the PC is powered off by shutdown) irrespective of the setting of the
driver 'shutdown_delay' parameter. I'm just guessing that the driver
forces the UPS off when it's terminated by the dying kernel. The only
way I could get the driver to observe the 'shutdown_delay' parameter and
not to turn the UPS off immediately was to execute the 'shutdown.return'
instant command manually (the 'shutdown.stayoff' command turned off the
UPS immediately):

   # upscmd -u admin -p mypass pw3105 at localhost shutdown.return

This left the following message in `/var/log/daemon.log`:

   Aug  2 13:33:30 kea bcmxcp_usb[4880]: Going down in 120 sec

Cheers, Stuart