[Nut-upsuser] powerware 5125 and bcmxcp driver

Kjell Claesson kjell.claesson at epost.tidanet.se
Sat Dec 1 11:14:22 UTC 2007

Den Saturday 01 December 2007 00.11.21 skrev Radu:
Hi Radu,
> I'm trying to get a Powerware 5125 UPS running using the bcmxcp driver,
> but I get the following errors:
>
> video2:~# /sbin/upsdrvctl start
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.4
> Network UPS Tools - BCMXCP UPS driver 0.10 (2.0.4)

Don't hurt to get some newer release as 2.0.4 is out of date.
But I don't think it solves the problem.

> Communications with UPS lost: Error executing command
> Communications with UPS lost: Error executing command
> Communications with UPS lost: Error executing command
> Communications with UPS lost: Error executing command
> Communications with UPS lost: Error executing command
> Communications with UPS lost: Error executing command
> Can't find the UPS on port /dev/ttyS0!
> Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

This error come from that it don't answer. The first error is the test
on 9600 baud (as you have it in the ups.conf) then it test on
1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200 and then fail.

> Here are my /etc/nut/ups.conf:
> [ups]
>        driver = bcmxcp
>        port = /dev/ttyS0
>        desc = "PowerWare 5125"
>        baud_rate = 9600

That look's OK.

> With the generic driver it works, sort of. I mean it signals I'm running
> on battery (which is not true) and the battery is low and then shut downs.
>
> Also, I can connect with the minicom to the UPS.

How does it look when you connect with minicom ?

The bcmxcp protocol is a binary protocol with no handshake.
But if it looks like text strings you may try to send
UPDA <cr>
to the ups. If it spit out some data, try the upscode2 driver.

> Any ideas how to get the bcmxcp driver up?

Try upscode2 and check that the cable for the ups is the one to use for
serial communication. (May be another for generic (contact closure))

Regards
Kjell