[Nut-upsuser] APC smartups 1500 is broken with usbhid-ups

Francisco Castanheiro fdsc at di.fct.unl.pt
Sun Dec 2 00:56:18 UTC 2007

On Dec 1, 2007, at 13:05, Arjen de Korte wrote:

> I'm a bit confused here. Do you mean the version from Debian
> testing, or
> the version from NUT SVN Testing? My guess is the first (which would
> explain your observations) but it's better to be sure. So what
> version is
> reported on startup of the drivers?

Sorry for the confusion, i tested 2.0 from debian etch and 2.2 from
debian testing.

>> The output of "upsrw ups2 at localhost":
>> [battery.charge.low]
>> Remaining battery level when UPS switches to LB (percent)
>> Type: STRING
>> Value: 10
>>
>> [battery.runtime.low]
>> Remaining battery runtime when UPS switches to LB (seconds)
>> Type: STRING
>> Value: 120
>>
>> [ups.beeper.status]
>> UPS beeper status
>> Type: STRING
>> Value: enabled
>>
>> [ups.delay.restart]
>> Description unavailable
>> Type: STRING
>> Value: -1
>>
>> [ups.delay.shutdown]
>> Interval to wait after shutdown with delay command (seconds)
>> Type: STRING
>> Value: -1
>
> This all looks good.

Why is this output not so elaborated like the apcsmart one?

>> After running "upsrw -u someuser -p somepass -s ups.delay.restart=60
>> ups2 at localhost" the value of "ups.delay.restart" is 180. I tried all
>> the values in APC manual, but the value stored in the variable is
>> never the one i specified. "ups.delay.shutdown" has the same
>> behaviour.
>
> The fact that the driver made these values writable, was a mistake.
> These
> should be read-only. Since setting these values will start a timer
> immediately, they should be changed through 'upscmd'. This was
> corrected
> in the latest version available through SVN in either the 'trunk' or
> 'branches/Testing'.

So, could you explain me the strange behaviour? Why the value of the
variable is never the one you set, and what kind of unit are used?
Minutes? Hours?

> That is not the meaning of the 'ups.delay.start'. This will only delay
> startup if mains power is uninterrupted and you command the UPS to
> shutdown with a delay and back on again with a delay. Broken in your
> version.

Now i'm confused. How can i set delays to the different ups? I need to
boot my devices in one specific order, and the only way to do that is
with boot delays at the ups.
Powerchute from APC can do that, and as far i can remember, so can
apcupsd.

> For now the best advice I can give you, is to pull the version from
> 'branches/Testing' and run that. The above mentioned problems should
> be
> fixed in that version. If that's still causing problems, posting the
> output of the first 30 seconds of the output from the following
> command

I will try the new version Monday.

Thanks for your help.

---
Francisco Castanheiro
Departamento de Informática
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia - UNL
E-mail: fdsc at di.fct.unl.pt