[Nut-upsuser] Crash when I start driver

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 14:01:16 UTC 2007

On Dec 4, 2007 8:59 PM, Patrick Nolan <Patrick.Nolan at stanford.edu> wrote:
> When I run the command
> # ../bin/usbhid-ups -a igor -DD -u root
> it produces the long output which is attached below.
> Then the machine crashes.  I think the UPS just turns off
> the power.  The log file contains the line
> Dec  4 16:05:26 computer kernel: usb 2-2: USB disconnect, address 2

Interesting - usually this message only shows up when you disconnect a
cable. if there is interference, or if the device powers off. An UPS
usually won't power its USB chip off until after it has powered off
the load, which makes me wonder if this was another device
disconnecting.

> As you might guess, I am out of favor with the guy who uses the
> machine.  I won't get to touch it again unless I can convince him
> that I know what I'm doing.

Arjen mentioned this in passing as well, but in general, it's best to
do initial testing with the computer plugged into a different UPS (or
the wall, temporarily), and with a dummy load like a lamp plugged into
the UPS connected to NUT.

That way, you can see whether or not the UPS is turning off the load,
and if the driver is properly interacting with the UPS.

--
- Charles Lepple