[Nut-upsuser] NUT-2.0.3 - problems on setting values

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 15:29:25 CET 2007

[added back the list as cc]

2007/2/2, Andreas Rust <rust at busche.de>:

> Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
> > btw, prefer to use, if possible, the latest nut release (2.0.5 currently)
>
> Would like to, but didn't feel like building an RPM and would like to
> stick to it for easier maintenance - especially since the UPS is
> physically inaccessible for me most of the time.
>
> >> How would the parameters have to be set up to shutdown outlet.1 or 2
> >> automatically when reaching 20% battery charge then?
> >>
> >> Something on .switch and .switchable?
> >
> > this is what you seem to have already done, ie setting
> > outlet.X.autoswitch.charge.low=20
> >
> > no need to set the timer (*.delay.*)
> >
> > note that the outlet will directly cut the power, so you need to
> > ensure that the things protected by this outlet are cleanly stopped
> > before (ie calling a hook to stop a computer, ...)
>
> It's ok for the outlet to just cut off the power - but it didn't work on
> a test. We had set 90 for battery.charge.low and 80 for
> outlet.1.autoswitch.charge.low for a quick test, but outlet.1 never
> turned off. When we manually restored power the UPS was down to less
> than 70% battery charge.

it work in the opposite way: set the outlet.1 to 90 and battery.charge.low to 80

if you really need the pc to shutdown first, and another appliance
next, then you have to:
- plug the pc into outlet.1, and set outlet.1.autoswitch.charge.low to ie 90
- plug the other appliance into outlet.2, and set
outlet.1.autoswitch.charge.low to ie 80

But in this case, only the outlets will be stopped since the master pc
will be off and not able to send the shutoff (UPS shutdown) order.

another way would be to use the config param offdelay with a
sufficient value to switch the UPS off after the outlet.2 is off (ie
between 90 % and 80, you have 5 minutes, so you can set offdelay to
320 (5 mn * 60 sec + 20 sec more)
The offdelay timer start at the end of the pc shutdown...

I hope this will help you in finding a suitable solution to your needs.

Arnaud