[Nut-upsuser] Additional server eralier shutdown condition

Vladimir I. Umnov umnov at kirov.ertelecom.ru
Mon Feb 5 07:17:35 CET 2007

Charles Lepple ?????:
> On 2/2/07, Vladimir I. Umnov <umnov at kirov.ertelecom.ru> wrote:
>> This means that NUT with upssched set their own timer. I think this
>> is missing functionality.
>> I need UPS monitoring software query my UPSes (APC cannot work with
>> many UPSes in native mode,
>> but can do such query) for current battery level and current
>> estimated run time each 5 seconds.
>> And if it reaches configured value, take appropriate action.
>
> You should consider that many USB UPSes will take longer than 5
> seconds to update everything.
>
> Rob is still correct in that you probably want to wait for an "on
> battery" signal for the UPS. Then you can poll it with whatever you
> want, including upsc in a loop, or your own custom client. The network
> protocol is not difficult.
>
> There are only a few good reasons to poll the battery level while the
> UPS is online; namely, you did not allow it enough time to recharge
> before coming back online after a power failure, the battery is bad,
> etc. A good UPS will monitor these things during the self-test.
>
> Also, a lot of the UPSes supported by NUT will allow you to adjust the
> battery level at which they send the "low battery" signal. This
> automates your scenario somewhat.
That words sounds like NUT is featureless and may be used in small
enviroment. For big server rooms with many types of hardware (without
distant power off capability) and with goal to run this for longest
possible time NUT is very very bad for now.
You should think about it. And this must be done not in drivers - it
should be integrated directly into upsmon!!!