[Nut-upsuser] Fwd: NUT on FreeBSD

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 02:56:33 CET 2007

On 2/11/07, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor at gsoft.com.au> wrote:
> On Monday 12 February 2007 09:44, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:
> > Can't uu_lock cuad1: creat error: Permission denied
> > Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
> >
> > 6. Since cuad1 has permission 777 this should not be possible ...
>
> *lock* creation failed, not the attempt to open /dev/cuad1
> The permissions of /var/spool/lock are what matter here, try creating a nut
> user and putting it in the dialer group, then tell NUT to run as that user
> (otherwise it setuid's to nobody)

Daniel,

does NUT actually setuid to nobody by default on FreeBSD? If so, it
sounds like we might have some dead code in configure.in (since it
defaults to uucp).

If there are some defaults that are more applicable to recent versions
of FreeBSD, let us know. Maybe we just need some BSD-specific
additions to the installation instructions.

--
- Charles Lepple