[Nut-upsuser] MGE Nova AVR 600 USB on FreeBSD

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 13:21:12 CET 2007

fellows,

2007/2/16, Rob Wise <rob at wonk.org>:
> On 16/02/07, Arjen de Korte <nut+users at de-korte.org> wrote:
>
> > The latter needs to be 'pollfreq', not 'pollinterval'.
>
> Ok - changed:
>
> root# cat ups.conf
> [mge-nova]
>         driver=usbhid-ups
>         port=auto
>         desc="MGE Nova 600VA on Bozo"
>         vendorid = 0463
>         pollfreq = 30
> root#
>
> Unfortunately it didn't seem to have any effect.  I have taken a debug
> of usbhid-ups starting up in case there is some info you need in
> there.  It's too long to include here so I put it on pastebin:
> http://pastebin.com/882071
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob

does the driver block on "Waiting for notifications... "
or do you see some other identical messages?

if the driver is blocked, then you have (about) the same problem as
solaris (but they don't have implemented USB interrupts through
libusb!).
a call to usb_interrupt_read() (libusb function) block indefinitly the process!
if this is the case, you can try to extend the workaround:
- look at configure.in,
- search for SUN_LIBUSB
- extend the target_os to include the freebsd system
- call autoreconf and recompile usbhid-ups

then relaunch usbhid-ups in debug and feed us back,
Note that this is only a temporary fix that disable interrupt handling
(so the driver only polls the UPS), while waiting for a proper
solution in freebsd / sun...

Arnaud