[Nut-upsuser] MGE Nova AVR 600 USB on FreeBSD

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 12:40:22 CET 2007

2007/2/19, Arjen de Korte <nut+users at de-korte.org>:
> [...]
>
> > Also your comment "(so the driver only polls the UPS)" - does this
> > mean the UPS will not be able to notify NUT of a power failure as it
> > occurs, but we'll pick it up next time NUT polls?
>
> As Arnaud already answered, yes. You may want to reduce the interval
> between polls by setting 'pollfreq = 10' in ups.conf, to lower this from
> the default 30 seconds, so that variables will be updated more frequently.
> Don't overdo this however, you don't want to beat the UPS to death with
> polling requests. You may get away with 'pollfreq = 5'.

good catch Arjen, I missed to mention that point.

> Should we make this a default, Arnaud?
>
> #if SUN_LIBUSB
> #define DEFAULT_POLLFREQ        10      /* Polling interval, in seconds */
>                                         /* The driver will do "light */
>                                         /* poll" between full polls */
> #else
> #define DEFAULT_POLLFREQ        30      /* Polling interval, in seconds */
>                                         /* The driver will wait for Interrupt */
>                                         /* and do "light poll" in the meantime */
> #endif

I would prefer not to do so, since this interrupt on sun is only a
temporary hack, while waiting for the upstream fix.

Moreover, lowering the pollfreq will result in some staleness due to
too much polling. So this fix would end up in creating some more
problems.

That said, I'm not much opposed to your proposition. We only need a
way to remember that when the upstream fix are there, we will need to
remove such things... (simply removing the configure part will do by
side effect, but leave some dead code)

Arnaud