[Nut-upsuser] how do I find the association between a usb port anda /dev entry?

Herman J van der Merwe herman at mercygate.com
Fri Feb 23 11:01:06 CET 2007

Steve,

first check what ports your OS found - run dmesg command.

Then I do not know if this could also be a problem, but make sure that USB2
driver is loaded first - here is an extract from a tech site:
---------------------
USB1 (uhci or ohci), which is also available on your system, is the first to
be detected and loaded during system start. Thus, USB2 falls behind. This
problem is mainly observed in connection with combicards (i.e., systems
equipped with a combination of USB1 and 2).

Here's one way to solve it.

Instruct the kernel to load USB2 (ehci) first. Start YaST, select 'System'
then 'Editor for /etc/sysconfig Files'. A new window will be displayed.

Now select 'System' and 'Kernel' on the left side and mark
'MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT'. Insert the value ehci-hcd in the line in the upper
right section, exit YaST, and reboot your system.

Alternative Approach

It is also possible to load the module ehci-hcd manually. To do this, edit
the file /etc/sysconfig/kernel as root and insert the value ehci-hcd between
the quotation marks in the line:

MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT=""

Save the changes and reboot your system. USB2 will now be loaded first.