[Nut-upsuser] Loosing comms with UPS

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sun Jul 22 18:54:07 UTC 2007

FORMER 03 | Baltasar Cevc wrote:
> Hi Alain,
>
>> In my system log file I get messages like:
>>
>> 	Jul 18 13:05:12 mint upsd[4025]: Host 192.168.145.12 disconnected
>> (read failure)
>> 	Jul 18 13:10:12 mint last message repeated 5 times
>> 	Jul 18 13:10:12 mint last message repeated 4 times
>>

>> and broadcast messages like:
>> 	Communications with UPS mintups at mint.phcomp.co.uk lost
>> 30 seconds later:
>> 	Communications with UPS mintups at mint.phcomp.co.uk established
>

> Probably you UPS is answering too slowly; try increasing the timeouts.

No at all. This message states there is a problem with the communication
between the client and server, the UPS is not involved here. So
increasing the timeouts is not going to help.

> See http://opensource.mgeups.com/ups.htm for details - it's a
> different supplier, but I assume it should be the same procedure. The
> lines you're interested in are at the bottom of the page.

This page recommends a solution to a problem that no longer exists in
this form anymore. No matter how slow your UPS is in responding, the
communication between driver-server and server-client should never
timeout because of it. If it does, there is a problem in the driver (it
is not responding to a PING from the server in time, which must never
happen). We've had some problems with this lately, but these should be
resolved by now. If you still see the exact message, please tell us.

Best regards, Arjen