[Nut-upsuser] APCsmart serial port problem

Patrick Nolan Patrick.Nolan at stanford.edu
Tue Jun 5 06:50:38 UTC 2007

On Jun 4, 2007, at 5:57 PM, Doug Parsons wrote:

> I currently have 14 of these units running on NUT 2.0.4 . They all use
> the
> 940-1524C black cable. In my configuration I do not use the cable
> description or sdtype.  I only have the drive, port and a description.
> Unless there has been a change from .4 to .5 that requires the other
> settings I would omit them.
>
> This is all on CentOS which is also a clone of RedHat on kernel 2.6.
>
> As for the ownership of the port, I believe you are running into an
> issue
> with udev. Udev creates the ports on boot up and thus is resetting the
> ownership and group.
>
> Go to /etc/udev/permissions.d and find the section on dialup and serial
> devices. You will find a line like:
>
> ttyS*:root:uucp:0660
>
> try putting the line:
> ttyS0:nut:uucp:0660
> in front of the other line.

This seems to help somewhat.  The syntax is different, but it's easy to
figure
out.  Here's what I get now:

[root at glast2 bin]# ./apcsmart -DD -a myups
Network UPS Tools (version 2.0.5) - APC Smart protocol driver
         Driver version 1.99.8, command table version 2.0
debug level is '2'
Attempting firmware lookup
Firmware: [665.6.D]
Not found in table - trying normal method
APC - Attempting to find command set
APC - Parsing out command set
UPS supports command [load.on]
UPS supports command [test.panel.start]
UPS supports command [calibrate.start]
UPS supports command [calibrate.stop]
UPS supports command [shutdown.stayoff]
UPS supports command [shutdown.return]
UPS supports command [test.failure.start]
protocol_verify: 0x56 [V] unrecognized
UPS supports command [test.battery.start]
UPS supports command [test.battery.stop]
UPS supports command [load.off]
APC - About to get capabilities string
ERROR: APC cannot do capabilites but said it could!
APC - UPS capabilities determined
Detected Smart-UPS 2200 RM [JS0704019003] on /dev/ttyS0
update_status: ser_send_char failed: Input/output error
dstate_init: sock /var/state/ups/myups open on fd 5
smartmode: ser_send_char failed: Input/output error
Communications with UPS lost - check cabling