[Nut-upsuser] upsdevctl is -rwxr-xr-x

Steve Adam steve.adam62 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 02:30:06 UTC 2007

Hi,

I've installed the debian package of these
ups tools and everything looks good.

debian:/var/log# upsdrvctl -h
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.1

(Though I'll have to wait for a quieter time to pull
the plug and test it.)

debian:/var/log# ls -l `which upsdrvctl`
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        18232 Sep 22  2005 /sbin/upsdrvctl

I notice that upsdrvctl is exectuable by anyone.
Does that mean that anyone with shell access
to the server can  "upsdrvctl shutdown"  ?

I'd prefer to restrict execution of that utility
to root.  Would that cause any problems?

Steve.