[Nut-upsuser] Failed to connect to parent

Roger Price rprice at cs.uml.edu
Fri Jun 8 14:52:58 UTC 2007

Dear List, Sorry if this is a FAQ - I've been looking at
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/ but I havn't yet
found the answer.

I have an MGE Ellipse 1500.  I run openSUSE 10.2, kernel 2.6.18, nut
2.0.5.  ps shows that the following processes are running:

/usr/lib/ups/driver/newhidups -a mgeups
/usr/sbin/upsd -u root
/usr/sbin/upsmon
/usr/sbin/upsmon

lsusb says:

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0463:ffff MGE UPS Systems UPS

/etc/ups/ups.conf:

[mgeups]
        driver = newhidups
        port = auto
        desc = "Computer Room"

/etc/ups/upssched.conf:

CMDSCRIPT /usr/sbin/upssched-cmd
PIPEFN /var/state/ups/upssched.pipe
LOCKFN /var/state/ups/upssched.lock
AT ONBATT * START-TIMER ups-on-battery-timer 30
AT ONLINE * CANCEL-TIMER ups-on-battery-timer
AT ONBATT * EXECUTE ups-on-battery
AT ONLINE * EXECUTE ups-back-on-line

Problem: Disconnecting the UPS from the wall produces the error message
"Failed to connect to parent and failed to create parent: No such file or
directory" but does not shut down the server.  I tried some tracing:

pastis:~ # upsmon -DDDD
Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.0.5
UPS: mgeups at localhost (master) (power value 1)
Using power down flag file /etc/killpower

Trying to connect to UPS [mgeups at localhost]
Logged into UPS mgeups at localhost
polling ups: mgeups at localhost
get_var: mgeups at localhost / status
     status: [OL CHRG]
    parsing: [OL]: ups_on_line(mgeups at localhost) (first time)
    parsing: [CHRG]:
polling ups: mgeups at localhost
get_var: mgeups at localhost / status
     status: [OL CHRG]
    parsing: [OL]: ups_on_line(mgeups at localhost) (no change)
    parsing: [CHRG]:

......I disconnected the UPS from the wall.......
polling ups: mgeups at localhost
get_var: mgeups at localhost / status
     status: [OB DISCHRG]
    parsing: [OB]: ups_on_batt(mgeups at localhost) (first time)
do_notify: ntype 0x0001 (ONBATT)
UPS mgeups at localhost on battery
    parsing: [DISCHRG]:
polling ups: mgeups at localhost
get_var: mgeups at localhost / status
     status: [OB DISCHRG]
    parsing: [OB]: ups_on_batt(mgeups at localhost) (no change)
    parsing: [DISCHRG]:
Failed to connect to parent and failed to create parent: No such file or directory
polling ups: mgeups at localhost

What is causing the "Failed to connect to parent" error?  Any help would
be much appreciated.

Roger