[Nut-upsuser] Notes on first test.

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 12:25:50 UTC 2007

Hi Steve,

2007/6/7, Steve Adam <steve.adam62 at gmail.com>:
> Hi all...
>
> I've tested my installation and everything seems OK,
> but I'll note a couple of things.
>
> System is debian,
> UPS is Fenton Powerpal 660 L

you missed:
- the Debian release (Etch assumed)
- the nut release (2.0.4 assumed)
- the nut driver used

> First of all, the ups software did not restart because
> I had not changed 'no' to 'yes' in /etc/default/nut.
> Maybe it's a debian thing, I don't know.  But I don't
> remember seeing it noted anywhere in nut docs.

yep, Debianism documented:
/usr/share/doc/nut/README.Debian.gz
check (6)

> Second...  Regarding the ups shutdown during
> system shutdown.
>
> The 'UPS Shutdown' in the debian installation is
> the very last thing that happens prior to the
> raid (md) shutdown and system halt.
>
> In my case, the ups did not shut down until
> 1 minute after the shutdown command was sent.

this is a behavior of the driver, the UPS or both.
it may be changed, depending upon the hardware capabilities.
have a look at the driver manpage, along with upsrw / upscmd

> I'm quite happy to have the server shut down
> completely before the UPS shuts down.

so, everything is fine under the sun ;-)

Arnaud