[Nut-upsuser] nut upset after Oops

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed Mar 7 08:30:55 CET 2007

>>> If I start the daemons manually, following the info at
>>> http://www.networkupstools.org/doc/2.0.1/INSTALL.html The programs
>>> start
>>> OK, no error there.
>>> How can I automate this? Why don't the scripts work OK?
>> Which script did you use?
> The standard scripts that come with the rpm.

We, the NUT development team, don't provide RPM packages. So we have no
idea what the people who made the RPM, did to the init scripts. As far as
I know, the init scripts we do provide in the sources are fine, but some
packagers (including me) make changes to modify them for a specific
distribution. There is no way to tell which changes without looking at
these scripts.

> The scripts that worked OK for 2.0.3.

There have been some changes in the way we deal with PID files, these
changes may be incompatible to version nut-2.0.5.

>> I can only guess that the script is not doing
>> what it is supposed to do,
> So what is causing the upsd problem? (not seeing the driver)

Either the name of the driver socket is incorrect (however, this should be
no problem if you're using upsdrvctl from nut-2.0.5 too, but will be a
problem if you're using upsdrvctl from nut-2.0.3) or there is a
permissions problem because the driver runs under a different userid as
the server (upsd).

> When I get home I will post the /etc/rc.d/init.d/ups scipt.

That would be most helpful.

Best regards, Arjen