[Nut-upsuser] hardened kernel and nut access to ttyS

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue May 8 13:48:07 UTC 2007

On 5/8/07, Vieri <rentorbuy at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Carlos Rodrigues <carlos.efr at mail.telepac.pt>
> wrote:
>
> > On 5/8/07, Vieri <rentorbuy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > However, I just built a hardened kernel on a new
> > > gentoo machine and have no experience with it. NUT
> > > (upsdrv) is failing because it says it doesn't
> > have
> > > permission to access ttyS0 even though nut is
> > within
> > > the appropriate group. I can add user = root in
> > > ups.conf but I'd rather not.
> > >
> > > Does someone have experience with hardened
> > kernels?
> > >

> > Define "hardened". Are we talking about something
> > like SELinux or AppArmor
> > here?
>
> a system with PaX/Grsecurity.
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/grsecurity.xml

You might need to give us a little more information on how this is set
up. Are you using chroot as well?

Version numbers, etc., will help narrow things down, as well as
configuration options.

This page <http://www.grsecurity.org/features.php> leads me to believe
that you don't need to use root: "Non-root access to special roles" -
but it's hard to tell without knowing exactly what policy is
preventing NUT from accessing the serial port (and we haven't had too
many posts from people who have set up similar environments before).

--
- Charles Lepple