[Nut-upsuser] hardened kernel and nut access to ttyS

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 17:10:00 UTC 2007

Here's a workaround for Gentoo's "hardened profile".

Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules:
KERNEL=="ttyS0",        NAME="%k", SYMLINK="tts/%n",
GROUP="tty", MODE="0660"
KERNEL=="ttyS[1-9]*",   NAME="%k", SYMLINK="tts/%n",
GROUP="uucp", MODE="0660"

Reboot.

# ls -la /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 64 May  8  2007 /dev/ttyS0

# /etc/init.d/upsdrv start
 * Starting UPS drivers ...
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.5
Network UPS Tools - Megatec protocol driver 1.5
(2.0.5)
Carlos Rodrigues (c) 2003-2006

Megatec protocol UPS detected.
                   [ ok ]

Another workaround would be to include the nut user in
the uucp group.

I don't know whch solution is best.

Vieri

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/grsecurity.xml