[Nut-upsuser] cyberpower driver

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sun May 13 08:49:20 UTC 2007

I'm looking for people that are using the 'cyberpower' driver that has
been available for some years now. It seems the overhauled 'powerpanel'
driver could support your UPS too.

The commands and status bytes used are identical, the only difference
being the way the values read for battery charge, temperature and
frequency are interpreted. If we can find a way to detect when to use the
measurements from the UPS as is (like the 'powerpanel' driver does now)
and when we need to map them in some weird way (the existing 'cyberpower'
driver), we have a single driver for all CyberPower equipment with a
serial connection (binary and text protocol). From a user (support)
perspective, this is much better than the four drivers (cyberpower,
cpsups, nitram and powerpanel) we have now for CyberPower UPSes.

This might be as simple as looking at the firmware revision, or maybe we
need something more sophisticated. In order to find that out, I would like
to see the output from 'upsc <upsname>' for both the 'cyberpower' and
'powerpanel (revision 0.20.5 or higher)' drivers. You can simply change
between the two by changing the 'driver = cyberpower' or 'driver =
powerpanel' line in the relevant entry in 'ups.conf'. For the powerpanel
driver, it would also be nice to see the debug output from the startup
when started directly from the commandline (without 'upsdrvctl').
Typically, this can be done by running

    powerpanel -u root -DDD /dev/ttySx (fill in serial port here)

After detection, about 10 seconds of debug output are sufficient (stop the
driver in debug mode by pressing <ctrl>-c. Note that you will have to stop
NUT before you can run the driver in debug mode and that you probably want
to restart NUT afterwards.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Eindhoven - The Netherlands