[Nut-upsuser] Belkin USB UPSes

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu May 17 16:02:31 UTC 2007

Arjen de Korte <nut+users at de-korte.org>:
> Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > The F6C1200-UNV has a serial port.  The F6C550-AVR does not.  I'd like
> > a USB solution so I can apply it to both units.
>
> You had better checked that out *before* buying these units. :-)

I've hacked on NUT before.  I figured if they didn't work, I'd *make*
'em work.

> Yes. And then still you may be out of luck if the serial-to-USB
> converter Belkin put into this unit is not (yet) supported by the
> megatec_usb driver. Unfortunately, in many cases these use a
> manufacturer specific protocol to encapsulate the serial communication
> in USB. If yours happens to use a different way as the two existing
> subdrivers for megatec_usb, this requires writing an additional
> subdriver before you can use it.

[   83.049102] hiddev96: USB HID v1.00 Device [Cypress Semiconductor USB to Serial] on usb-0000:00:02.1-2

That looks fairly promising.  I'll bet the converter is some close
relative of a Cypress M8 -- I've run across these in connection with
my gpsd project, which has USB issues very similar to NUT's.