[Nut-upsuser] Bogus "UPS not available" messages

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed May 23 20:28:29 UTC 2007

Arjen de Korte <nut+users at de-korte.org>:
> Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>
> > Arjen de Korte <nut+users at de-korte.org>:
> >> What's in the logfiles? Is this message generated by the driver, the
> >> server or the client?
> > Which log is relevant? /var/log/messages or something else?
>
> The syslog. Where that resides, depends on your local configuration,
> although /var/log/messages is generally a good starting point.

Many repetitions of this message with different timestamps.

May 23 11:25:51 snark upsmon[26084]: Poll UPS [myups at snark] failed - Write error: Bad file descriptor
May 23 11:25:56 snark upsd[26065]: Rejecting TCP connection from 192.168.1.11
May 23 11:25:56 snark upsmon[26084]: Set username on [myups at snark] failed: Serve
> > I don't see this documented anywhere, and it should be.
>
> This is documented in the INSTALL file (amongst other places by the
> way), which serves as a starting point for new users.

The INSTALL file refers to "the syslog", which is not good enough
without at least a pointer to documentation (like a manual page) on
where the syslog might be found on your system. (It should also
give the facility code that nut uses for logging. because that affects
where the log messages end up.)

Yes, I'm smart enough to figure this out on my own, but the
documentation should be usable by somebody who is not an experienced
Unix sysadmin.  Remember, I'm not only trying to solve my own
problem, I'm trying to smooth the way for other is the future.

(Often, this involves repeatedly kicking project devs to improve their
documentation, or writing better documentation myself.  You may expect
me to do both things a lot if I stick around here.)

> This is logged in the syslog in case the status changes. It makes no
> sense to store the timestamp for the last time data was received.

Why not?  Seems natural to me to want to know the timestamp on the
data sample I'm seeing.